ausableLhouseThumb.jpg

Au Sable Point Lighthouse
Built in 1874 on the AuSable Point in the Upper Peninsula. It has a conical light with a brick home attached. The AuSable Point Light stands 87 feet tall and is currently under renovation by the National Park Service. It is still open for summer tours. It may be necessary to hike the last mile or so due to the condition of the seasonal road.


 PHOTO BY KATHRYN LUND JOHNSON

PHOTO BY KATHRYN LUND JOHNSON

East Channel Lighthouse
The East Channel Lighthouse started operation in 1867 and warned incoming vessels of the narrow passage into Munising Bay. This lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouses on the Great Lakes as two local boat tour companies navigate pass it. 

  • Status: Deactivated 1969
  • Access: Private / No Access

 


 Rear west channel Range light photo by kathryn Lund Johnson

Rear west channel Range light photo by kathryn Lund Johnson

 Front west channel Range light photo by kathryn Lund Johnson

Front west channel Range light photo by kathryn Lund Johnson

Grand Island West Channel Range Lights
During the hey-day of water transportation on Lake Superior, mariners lined up this pair of "range lights," to determine a safe course through dangerous shallows of the island's west channel.  Today, visitors can view these range lights, conveniently located off of Highway M-28.


northGIlighthouseThumb.jpg

Grand Island North Lighthouse
Situated atop a 175 foot cliff on Grand Island's north end, this lighthouse has been identified as the highest lighthouse above sea level in the United States.  Originally built of wood in 1856, the original lighthouse was replaced with the current brick lighthouse in 1867.

  • Status: Deactivated 1961
  • Access: Private / No Access

 Rear Munising Light Photo by kathryn lund johnson

Rear Munising Light Photo by kathryn lund johnson

 Front munising light

Front munising light

Munising Range Lights

The Munising Range Lights were built in 1908 to aid vessels navigating through the narrow channel east of Grand Island into the main harbor of South Bay, often referred to as Munising Bay.